Aloha readers!! We are back again with yet another interesting App Review of the App Currently named as iExplorer, formerly named iPhone Explorer. The change in the name of the app was inevitable as the app is not just confined to iPhone anymore. Yes, It is now available to explore your iPad as well, that too in HD !! Let’s get started in our typical format of reviewing an App.
Platform: iOS 4.2 or later
iExplorer is a powerful file management application for your iOS device which lets you manage/view files on your remote servers (Windows sharing server/FTP server/WebDAV server/SkyDrive/Live Mesh/Google Docs/CloudMe/DropBox/Box.Net) in home, office and anywhere else. iExplorer also is a good eBook reader, media player, photo viewer, and work assistant. You can read CHM, ePub, PDF and large text/PDB files with outline/bookmark/annotation support, play musics and movies without copying them to your device, view large photos on your PC/NAS and share with friends, edit spreadsheets on Google Docs (Google Drive) and save them as different formats. It also gives you an option to print any viewable documents.
The User Interface is pretty simple free from crappy toolbars or pop-ups that mess up with the experience.
Let’s brief up about all the features offered by iExplorer
- iExplorer lets you access files on iPhone/iPad or Windows Sharing Files/NAS server/FTP Server/Cloud server (WebDAV servers, iDisk, FilesAnywhere, Box.Net, CloudMe, DropBox, Microsoft Live Mesh, SkyDrive, Google Docs …).
This is very helpful in managing all your data present on cloud servers /FTP servers, rather than opening up different dedicated apps one at a time.
- You can transfer files/folders/subfolders between iPhone/iPad and remote servers.
- You can also transfer files with Bluetooth between iOS devices. Nothing new about this feature. If it would have allowed sending files to non- ios devices over the air without network connection, then it would have been an icing on the cake.
- Additionaly, it also gives you the option to transfer files between iPhone/iPad and PC with USB cable. Might seem useless to some users, but it indeed is a very useful tool. It displays your ios device as a storage disc and you can directly access files without connecting to iTunes.
- It let’s you manage files on local or remote server (Rename/Delete/Move/Email) Again, very helpful feature for those who want to continue the normal experience on the go.
- It allows you to sort files by Name/Size/Date/File Type.
- Let’s you Zip & Unzip files on local or NAS server/FTP server. Pretty Interesting. You don’t have to install any other zipping software. Just download all attachments once as .zip, Unzip and you are ready to go.
- Allows you to Edit Google spreadsheet, download Google docs as pdf, Microsoft office document, zip, image, open office document, text files and so on. Since it is not possible to download the attachments and work upon them on the i devices, it simplifies the job at a minimal cost.
- Open files in other apps. Open file from Safari, Mail and other apps.
- Stream html/Microsoft office files/keynotes/numbers/pages from NAS/FTP/Cloud servers.
- Search files in folder/subfolders (support both local and remote servers)
- Sync files from NAS/FTP/Cloud server. It let’s you view offline files if the server is not reachable. So you can save and enjoy even if you are out of network reach.
- Adjust priorities for transferring file tasks
- You can print & tweet any viewable documents/ebooks. Available only if your Printer support AirPrint.
- It let’s you stream photos from your NAS/FTP/Cloud servers (WebDAV servers, iDisk, FilesAnywhere, Box.Net, CloudMe, DropBox, Microsoft Live Mesh, SkyDrive …)
- It Support large images, lets you smoothly zoom/scroll photos and view thumbnails
- It allows you to stream Audio/Video from NAS/FTP/Cloud servers (WebDAV servers, iDisk, FilesAnywhere, Box.Net, CloudMe, DropBox, Microsoft Live Mesh, SkyDrive …)
- It let’s you add subtitle to your video files, as it supports (ssa/ass/srt) files.
- It let’s you multitask while Audio Streaming is on.
Office Files Support
- It has an embedded PDF viewer. It supports outlines, bookmarks and annotations.
- It has an embedded CHM viewer, Optimized for iPhone/iPad which support outlines and bookmarks.
- It also has an embedded ePub reader, support outlines ,bookmarks, font style, fast scroll, auto scroll.
- It is smart enough to remember last read position for PDF, CHM, ePub, large text/PDB files.
- It does adds Icing on the cake with full support of Microsoft Office files, iWork files, Web files, etc.
- It also hosts a Code viewer, syntax highlighter for C, C++, Objective C, C#, Java, Php, JS, CSS …
- It supports Fullscreen mode for viewing in iPad (Available in iExplorer HD version only).
That’s all about the features it currently offers for a mere $4.99. Nice application. Amazingly effective! In spite of everything, it is worthy enough to be bought and used to ease up your life and business activities on the Go. With promise of a Web browser coming up within the app, It is surely worth a buy.